‘Tis the season to eat, drink, and be merry! Whilst 2022 is waiting around the corner, we’re ready to celebrate the end of what is/was a year for the record books starting with a Christmas feast!
Whether your family and friends are near or far, Christmas is one of the best days on the calendar for many. The simple pleasure of sitting around a table creates treasured memories for young and old. It has to be said: one of the great treasures of Christmas is the leftovers. So, we scoured the web to round up the best recipes for your Christmas leftover recipes.
- How to store leftovers
- What to do with your Christmas leftovers
- Ways to use leftover turkey
- What to do with all the pumpkin pie filling and crust
- Ideas for using up mashed potatoes and gravy
- Recipes for stuffing and cranberry sauce
- Save more on Christmas Dinner
1. How to store Christmas leftovers
Preparing and storing your Christmas leftovers requires preparation. Here are some basic food safety tips to help keep leftovers safe from harmful bacteria.
- Use a clean container always to hold the leftovers, or store the leftovers in leak-proof plastic bags to prevent cross-contamination. Remember to store meats separately.
- Eat refrigerated leftovers within 2 to 3 days, or freeze them for later use.
- Label & date leftovers to help identify the contents and to ensure they are not stored too long
2. What to do with Christmas leftovers
Leftovers are a great way to save money and use up food that would otherwise go to waste. In fact, one of our favorite household cookbooks is all about making great meals with leftovers. Imagine the flavors of your favorite Christmas dish or another meal-with an extra layer of festive flavor!
The possibilities are truly limitless when using these tips on how to make delicious meals out of nothing but what we already have around – after all everyone likes them as much they say they do. We’ve broken down the Christmas dinner and rounded up some recipes that might help get the inspiration going.
3. Christmas leftover recipes for turkey
There are many ways you can use leftover turkey. As a rule of thumb, it keeps for 2-3 days safely in your fridge. So, easy ideas are of course in sandwiches, bagels, and wraps. But, we pulled together a round-up of recipes you can use to level up your leftover game.
Some fantastic recipes for leftover turkey from Christmas include:
- Make a Christmas Leftovers Sandwich: Next-day turkey sandwiches made on slightly toasted and buttered bread with a little bit of brie cheese, arugula, a bit of stuffing, and cranberry sauce is what mother nature intended.
- Turkey Sloppy Joes: So much more than a sandwich or burger…
- Turkey Risotto: Stretch your leftovers a lot further with this delicious risotto
- Low-Carb turkey & lettuce cups: Sometimes, something a little lighter can help you get ready to tackle the new year!
4. Recipes for Christmas leftovers: what do to with leftover pie crust dough?
You can relax a little as leftover pie crust lasts for a while depending on how you store it:
- Storing leftover pie crust in your fridge for a few days: Squash all the scraps together and place them in a zip-lock bag or a sealable, reusable container. Store in your refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
- Storing in the freezer for up to 2 months: Squish scraps together and put them into a freezer-safe bag or container. Defrost in the refrigerator for a few hours before using.
Here are some recipe ideas for extra pie crust dough:
- Cinnamon Sugar Pie Dough Cookies: Melt some butter and brush across one side of the pie crust. Dust with cinnamon sugar and bake until golden brown. So much yes…!
- DIY Pop-Tarts: Roll out the pie dough into a sheet and cut it into squares (or into other shapes using a pastry cutter). Put your favorite jam or another filling on one side. Score around the edges and place another piece over the top. Squeeze edges together and fold inwards if you feel you might need. Cook in your oven at 375 degrees F/180 degrees C until golden brown.
- PB+J Roll-Ups: Roll out the pie dough into a sheet. Generously spread some peanut butter and jam starting from the left-hand side and halfway across the sheet. Roll up the sheet starting from the left-hand side. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until golden brown.
- Pie Crust Cookies: As described. Very delicious.
5. Ideas for using up leftover mashed potatoes and gravy
We all know that mashed potatoes are a must at Christmas dinner. But, what to do with the extras!? Sides don’t get much better than mashed potato, especially paired with delicious gravy! So how to store and re-use leftover mash?
Properly storing leftover mashed potatoes
Leftover mashed potato stores well in your refrigerator for a few days. If you need to store it for longer, it’s best to freeze it. Keep in mind, how well it defrosts depends on a few factors such as whether you added any extra ingredients, did you use milk or cream, and so on.
Can you freeze leftover mashed potato?
Here are some recipe ideas for leftover mashed potato and gravy:
- Add to your turkey sandwich to make a culinary lovechild of your Christmas dinner. You can even add more gravy!
- Fried Mash Potato Balls: This recipe from Delish is easy enough to make it’s probably dangerous! You can use your gravy as a dipping sauce.
- Leftover Cheesy Mashed Potato Fritters: So. Much. Excellence!
- Fluffy Potato Rolls: I haven’t made these myself, but I’d love to hear what you think!
- Shephard’s Pie: Probably the logical choice. Bonus points if you make your Shephard’s Pie with leftover meats from Christmas!
6. Recipes for leftover stuffing
Sides always make the meal. Instead of throwing them out, here’s how to store leftover stuffing.
Some recipes for reusing leftover stuffing:
- Leftover Stuffing Hash: possibly the perfect preparation for tackling Boxing Day sales. In fact, you can use much of your Christmas leftovers in a morning-after hash. Simply crack an egg on top for extra oompf!
- Stuffing Meatballs: This is a really light and nutritious lunch, or dinner recipe.
Saving on Christmas festivities with Moola
Moola is the best way to pay less on what you need to get more of what you love. We’ve partnered with over 200 shops, services, and restaurants across Canada to offer discounted e-gift cards with exclusive discounts.
Changing the way you pay doesn’t need to slow you down. In fact, you can use your phone to find and buy what you need in seconds on our Marketplace. With so many great deals on everything from groceries to spa days, there’s something for everyone at Moola. Whether it’s a family vacation or date night out with friends – we have the perfect deal for every occasion! So don’t wait any longer – download our app today and start saving more!